JUMP TO:
102ND ARMY BAND
 ROCKVILLE, CONNECTICUT -

History

Summary

Official History of the 102d Army Band

According to the Department of the Army, Lineage and Honors:

The 102d Army Band of the Connecticut Army National Guard was stationed in Bristol until March 1st, 2008 when it was relocated to Vernon-Rockville.

On May 23rd, 1921 the 102d Army Band was Federally recognized in the Connecticut National Guard as Band Section, Service Company, Connecticut Regiment of Infantry in Hartford. It was then redesignated on October 7th, 1921 as Band Section, Service Company, 169th Infantry. And again redesignated on May 1st, 1940 as Band, 169th Infantry.

After being inducted into Federal service on February 24th, 1941, in Hartford as an element of the 43d Infantry Division it was subsequently designated 43d Infantry Division, and on December 1st, 1943, the band was relieved from assignment; personnel and equipment were transferred to other units of the 43d Infantry Division.

On June 1st 1944 the band was Reorganized and redesignated as the 230th Army Ground Forces Band, and later inactivated on May 31st 1946 in Kobe, Japan.

Later that year on October 15th, the band was Reorganized and redisgnated and Federally recognized as the 43d Infantry Division Band in Hartford.

Again the Band was ordered into active Federal service on September 5th, 1950 in Hartford. The Band was organized and Federally recognized on June 22nd, 1953 as 43d Infantry Division Band[NGUS]. On June 15th, 1954 the Band was release form active Federal Service and reverted to State control; concurrently, Federal recognition was withdrawn.

The Band was again reorganized and redesignated as Band portion of Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 43d Infantry Division Trains and 43d Infantry Division Band on May 1st, 1959.

Finally, the Band was reorganized and redesignated as the 102d Army Band and relieved from assignment to the 43d Infantry Division on May 1st, 1963.

The Band’s Campaign Participation Credit includes World War II-AP, Guadalcanal, New Guinea, Northern Solomons, and Luzon. Its Decorations include the Philppine Presidential Unit Citation for action during the period 18 October 1944 to 4 July 1945.

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia

Distinctive Unit Insignia