JUMP TO:
198TH ARMY BAND
 ROCHESTER, NEW YORK -

History

Summary

The 198th Army Band (99th RSC) was originally activated in 1949 as the musical support unit for the 311th Division. In 1957, the unit was officially reassigned to the 98th Division (Institutional Training) Headquarters located at the James W. Wadsworth United States Army Reserve Center in Rochester, NY. The 98th Division Band has performed for three presidents (Nixon, Eisenhower and Johnson), many governors and foreign dignitaries. The band played at the New York World’s Fair in 1964. In the 1980's, the band was designated as “Rappl’s Own”, in honor of Major General Norbet Rappl.

In 2004-2005, the band played a significant role in support of the 98th Division mission in Iraq, providing dozens of troop return ceremonies. Then, from 2005-2013, the band also performed numerous troop returns and other ceremonies at instillations across the country, to include Ft. Lewis, WA, Ft. Richardson-Elmendorf, AK, Ft. Huachuca, AZ, FT. Bragg, NC, Ft. Campbell, KY, Ft. Drum, NY, Ft. Knox, KY, and Ft. Jackson.

The band remained the 98th Division Band until 2008, when the band re-designated as the 198th Army Band, falling under the 99th RSC, Ft. Dix, NJ. The band stayed in Rochester, NY, and in 2013, the 198th AB moved into a world-class rehearsal facility just south of Rochester.

Currently the band is under the leadership of Chief Warrant Officer Two Matthew Stephens and First Sergeant Kevin McGuire. The band consists of professional part-time Soldier Musicians, who hold a wide variety of civilian occupations, to include music teachers, real estate professionals, business owners, medical professionals, and several college students.

The 198th Army Band now consists of a concert band, marching band, rock band, brass quintet, and woodwind quintet. The band provides musical support for military functions, civilian events, and parades in Rochester, Western New York, throughout the country.

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia

Distinctive Unit Insignia