- Band Home
- > History
The 323rd U.S. Army MEDCOM Band was initially constituted 15 January 1944 as the 323rd Army Band at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania, activated six days later on 21 January 1944 to serve as the Medical Field Service School Band, and redesignated as The 323rd Army Service Forces Band on 01 March 1944.
Two years later, the Army Medical Schools moved to Fort Sam Houston, Texas, establishing Fort Sam Houston as the Home of Army Medicine. The Band moved with them on 11 June 1946, and was redesignated as simply the 323rd Band.
The following year, on 15 March 1947, the Band was again redesignated as the 323rd Army Band.
On 25 October 1951, the 323rd Army Band was allotted to the Regular Army, and served for almost 25 years until its deactivation on 25 June 1975.
20 years later, on 16 September 1995, the 323rd Army Band was reactivated at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, replacing the deactivated 5th Army Band, and has continued to serve here ever since, supporting the Army Medical School, the Brooke Army Medical Center, 5th Army, and U.S. Army South (USARSO).
In recognition of the Band's reactivation after 20 years,
16 September was designated as the Band's Unit Day, and is reserved as an annual training holiday for the members of the Band.
On 22 July 2004, the Band was granted the distinctive designation of being the Medical Command Band (MEDCOM), and was formally known as The U.S. Army MEDCOM Band.
The 323d Army Band "Fort Sam's Own" was officially realigned on 19 October 2011 under US Army North.