JUMP TO:
38TH INFANTRY DIVISION BAND
 INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA -

History

Summary

HISTORY OF THE 38TH INFANTRY DIVISION BAND

Army Divisional Bands were not organized until the early part of World War II. Prior to that time each regiment (infantry, filed artillery, engineers, medical, ect…) of a division had its own organic band, which dates back to August 1917 and organizations of the 38th Division and its regiments at Camp Shelby, Mississippi. Regimental bands continued in organized National Guard divisions following World War I . When the 38th Division was mobilized for active federal service in January 1941, it took a total of nine regimental bands to duty with it (six from Indiana, two from Kentucky and one from West Virginia

In the reorganization of 1942 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi, the 38th Division, along with all other Army divisions of that era, began to undergo a phased elimination of all regimental bands. In February the 139th Field Artillery Regiment Band from Indiana was redesignated as the new 38th Division Artillery Band. In September 1943 the 151st Infantry Regiment Band from Indiana was consolidated with the 38th Division Artillery Band to form the new 38th Infantry Division Band. The band was with the division throughout the war, including participation in the combat of the Southwest Pacific Theater.

Following World War II the 38th Infantry Division Band was organized and stationed in Muncie, Indiana. Because of Army reorganization and realignment over the next several decades that placed divisional bands under the control of different divisional subordinate support headquarters’ and units at different times, it was difficult for the band to stabilize and get the necessary attention it deserved. Assigned strength, proper equipment and facilities were constant challenges for the band. In November 1964, the band was relocated from Muncie to Indianapolis.

In the late 1970s and early 1980s, serious attention by the Indiana National Guard was given to rebuilding the band and restoring its stature. The call went out to all who were interested and a special effort was made to recruit professional civilian musicians. Top-quality musical instruments were procured and additional uniforms accessories were obtained. At every step of the way attempt were made to improve band practice facilities and the band gradually attained a high degree of professionalism in every respect.

It started extensive touring throughout the year, and became much in demand at military and civilian events across the State of Indiana. September of 1990 was a proud time when yet another reorganizational change, the band was detached from all other headquarters’ and became a separate division unit of its own once again. In early 1996 the band relocated again to facilities at what is now the former Fort Benjamin Harrison Post. In January 2015, the band relocated to a permanent facility designed specifically for Army bands on the west side of Indianapolis at Joint Forces Headquarters.

The 38th Infantry Division Band is recognized as one of the premier bands of the U.S Army. It is a great source of pride and patriotism for its members and for the military tradition of the State of Indiana.

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia

Distinctive Unit Insignia