JUMP TO:
77TH ARMY BAND
 FORT SILL, OKLAHOMA -

History

Summary

The 77th Army Band was constituted on 1 March 1907 in the Regular Army as the 13th Band, Coast Artillery and activated at Fort Du Pont, Delaware. Since its organization, the unit has had its location changed eighteen times and has been inactivated three times.

The unit moved to Fort Rosecrans, California on 14 December 1914 and on 13 February 1916, was transferred to Fort Kamehameha, Hawaii. On 3 January 1921, the unit moved to Fort Shafter, and back to Fort Kamehameha on 31 January. From 1922 to 1924, the unit moved from Fort Ruger to Like Field and back to Fort Ruger, then to Fort Armstrong where it remained until 30 June 1924. On that date, the band was reorganized and redesignated as the Band Section, Headquarters Battery, 16th Coast Artillery and assigned to the Hawaiian Department. The band was then moved to Fort De Russy, Hawaii. On 15 July 1927, the band was separated from the Headquarters Battery and redesignated as the Band, 16th Coast Artillery. The band returned to Fort Ruger, Hawaii on 21 July 1926, where it remained until 1944.

On 23 May 1944, the band was reorganized, named the 77th Ground Forces Band and assigned to the U.S. Army Forces, Central Pacific Area at Fort Hase, Hawaii. The next move occurred in December of that year, when the unit moved to Guam. On 30 May 1946, the unit transferred on a permanent change of station, less personnel and equipment, from Guam to Saipan under the Western Pacific Command, where on 15 June 1946, a letter from the Western Pacific Base Command designated that day as "Organization Day." While on the island of Saipan, the unit received deactivation orders for 29 November 1946.

The 77th Ground Forces Band was redesignated the 77th Army Band on 15 April 1947 and reactivated as a Philippine Scout Unit at Tarlac, Philippine Islands on 1 May 1947, but was soon deactivated again on 1 June 1949 while at Camp O'Donnel, Philippine Islands.

The 77th Army Band was activated at Fort Huachuca, Arizona on 1 November 1951 and assigned to the 6th Army, where it remained until its deactivation on 8 May 1953. While at Fort Huachuca, the unit participated in exercise Desert Rock and was on temporary duty at Desert Rock, Nevada from 9 January 1953 to 27 March 1953.

The unit was reactivated on 24 February 1955 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma where it has been stationed until this very day. Since its reactivation at Fort Sill, the band has been attached to the 52nd Artillery Group, 692nd Field Artillery unit until 25 June 1957, when the unit was attached directly to the 52nd Artillery Group. On 21 May 1962, the 77th Army Band was attached to the 41st Artillery Group for administrative purposes. On 10 July 1964 the band was attached to the 9th Field Artillery Missile Group. Shortly after, on 1 September 1964, the 77th Army Band was attached to the Personnel and Support Battalion.

On 6 May 1970, the 97th Army Band, also stationed at Fort Sill, was inactivated, and its members were reassigned to the 77th Army Band. At this time, the 77th was reorganized to a 42-piece unit. Today, the band, a TRADOC asset, is an MTOE unit and is currently authorized 39 Soldiers and one warrant officer.

In 2003, to conform to the Army’s reorganization of its garrisons, the Installation Management Agency was formed and organizations were either labeled as installation support units or mission units. The band was deemed a mission unit; therefore it would no longer be attached to the Personnel and Support Battalion. On 1 June 04, the 77th Army Band moved from the garrison and was administratively attached to the United States Army Field Artillery School and aligned under 1st Battalion, 30th Field Artillery Regiment. With the standup of the FIRES Center of Excellence on 1 October 2009, the 77th Army Band was removed from the 1-30th Regiment and again realigned under HQ Detachment, FIRES Center of Excellence.

Shoulder Sleeve Insignia

Distinctive Unit Insignia